the next step on the desktop

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Jan 31 18:58:47 GMT 2011

On Monday 31 January 2011, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Monday 31 January 2011, Alex Fiestas wrote:
> > In KDE we're used to resize the windows to fulfill our personal
> > needs, and let the application save the "last used size". I guess
> > that is because of that feature that a lot of applications doesn't
> > care about the correct size.
> >
> > A good experiment would be disable that feature in trunk (having a
> > way to enable it again) and see what applications behave correctly
> > and what apps need some tweaking.
>
> and a pretty robust communication of what the hint is (and compute it
> reliably, someting that i really know the pain from qgraphicslayouts,
> eheh ;)
>
> > As last note, because of that feature a correct behavior when using
> > an "extended desktop" is impossible, since something that looks
> > nice and proportional in a 1920x1080 screen won't fit in a
> > 1200x800.
>
> yeah, tis is a good point indeed.
> what happens now when ap application that saved its geometry when
> closed on a bigger screen gets started on the small one?

I think in most cases nothing bad will happen because standard behavior
for KMainWindow (?) is to store the geometry in keys depending on width
and height of the screen. For example my kmailrc has

[MainWindow]
Height 1200=876
Height 864=693
Height 960=722
Width 1152=907
Width 1280=906
Width 1600=1198

A (minor?) problem with this approach is that it doesn't work that good
anymore if one opens an application on a 16:9 screen and then on a 4:3
screen with the same vertical resolution. On a 16:9 screen I might even
want to use a different layout (e.g. 3-column layout instead of 2-column
layout in KMail).

Regards,
Ingo