kdelibs, kdebase moving to Git this Saturday

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Jan 29 18:04:46 GMT 2011

On Saturday, January 29, 2011, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> I disagree, wallpapers *are* part of the history, if i want to go abck to
> 4.5 and install kdebase i want to get what we had, not something less
> because that new shiny tool we have is not able to cope with wallpapers.

not less, but different perhaps. the wallpapers are really not related to the
plasma workspace devel at all, however, and would probably be better off in
their own repository as a result. it's an art esign thing, not a code thing.

there is only a runtime dependency on _one_ wallpaper: the default. that
dependency is actually defined by the theme, and the default theme actually
resides in kde-runtime.

we do need to decide how to deal with the wallpapers, but i don't think
keeping them in kde-workspace is a good answer. it does increaese the size
considerably for something that is really a different kind of beast.

i am seriously considering proposing shipping just one wallpaper as part of an
artwork package and making the rest of them available via synchrotron.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se