kdelibs, kdebase moving to Git this Saturday

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sat Jan 29 14:26:44 GMT 2011

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 02:56:33PM +0100, Christoph Feck wrote:
> On Saturday 29 January 2011 13:16:32 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > I disagree, wallpapers *are* part of the history, if i want to go abck to
> > 4.5 and install kdebase i want to get what we had, not something less
> > because that new shiny tool we have is not able to cope with wallpapers.

that won't work anyway, as we are rewriting history due to the splitup.

> I don't know how much work that is, but if possible, only the default
> wallpaper should always be in the repository (including those of kdm, ksplash,
> or whereever they appear).

that makes no sense conceptually. once something is in the repo, it will
stay there forever. and the default wallpaper changes at least once per
release. so by doing a history cut now, you'd only postpone the problem,
and create a royal mess on the way.
shallow clones (whenever they may come) should fix the history bloat
problem for local clones, so there isn't a really strong reason
long-term to externalize the multimedia data.
i'm not against such a "carve out" (i'm even slightly pro, especially
short-term), but it would have to be done properly.