moving scratch repositories?

Stefan Majewsky stefan.majewsky at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 4 10:26:05 GMT 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> so, what should happen is, everyting in the scratch repo, should become
> basically a branch of the master branch (in my first two cases runtime) with
> all the commits (just linear story) of the repo as commits in the branch, in
> that subfolder.

I think it should work to rewrite the original repo into a
subdirectory with a git-filter-branch tree filter. From the top of my
head, it might look like this:

git filter-branch --tree-filter "mkdir -p some/sub/directory; mv *
some/sub/directory" -- master

After this step, everything in all commits has been moved into
some/sub/directory. The modified master branch of the repo can now be
pulled into the main repo as a feature branch to be merged into
master/next/stable/4.6/whatever.

However, I remember someone saying that this should be coordinated
with sysadmins because it generates a high load on the commit hooks.

Greetings
Stefan