moving scratch repositories?

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Fri Feb 4 10:33:46 GMT 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:26 PM, Stefan Majewsky
<stefan.majewsky at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
>> so, what should happen is, everyting in the scratch repo, should become
>> basically a branch of the master branch (in my first two cases runtime) with
>> all the commits (just linear story) of the repo as commits in the branch, in
>> that subfolder.
>
> I think it should work to rewrite the original repo into a
> subdirectory with a git-filter-branch tree filter. From the top of my
> head, it might look like this:
>
> git filter-branch --tree-filter "mkdir -p some/sub/directory; mv *
> some/sub/directory" -- master
>
> After this step, everything in all commits has been moved into
> some/sub/directory. The modified master branch of the repo can now be
> pulled into the main repo as a feature branch to be merged into
> master/next/stable/4.6/whatever.
>
> However, I remember someone saying that this should be coordinated
> with sysadmins because it generates a high load on the commit hooks.

That was me :) As a protection measure, our hooks will prohibit any
pushes in excess of 100 new commits, which should hopefully avoid this
in the future.

However, it appears that Marco's code is new code, so it may need a
trip through the Git equivalent of KDE Review first (which requires
moving the repository to playground then to KDE Review)