irc meeting for kdelibs git workflow

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Feb 2 20:35:34 GMT 2011

On Wednesday, February 2, 2011, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 February 2011, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > -- and it all works out very well. Master is
> >
> > is everyone pushing their branches to the main repository, or keeping
> > them in separate cloned repositories?
>
> Yes, to the main repository. No public clones. We might have to rething
> that when we have a few hundred branches -- on the other hand, branches
> can be deleted when done with, or we can add a datestamp or something like
> that.

i've operated under the assumption that we'd delete branches every so often.
maybe once a year as a (literal?) spring cleaning, every branch older than a
certain age that's been merged .. which implies keeping track of those
branches .. hm...

> > for kde-workspace we're seriously considering using a shared clone (not
> > quite a team clone, more like a communally abused personal clone ;) so
> > that the commit hooks don't get run on feature branches until they are
> > ready for merging (which is particularly a nuisance with commits that
> > have BUG: in the log message) but so that we can keep our development
> > still in one easy to find place.
>
> Hm... yes -- the BUG keywoard can be tricky. We haven't encountered it yet,
> with people being very good about using CCBUG in the branches, and BUG in
> the merge commit message.

yes, that's another approach i suppose...

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se