irc meeting for kdelibs git workflow

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Feb 2 19:22:56 GMT 2011

On Wednesday 02 February 2011, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 2, 2011, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > * for any change, create a topic branch from master
> > * work in the branch...
>
> in cmake development, how do developers find each other's branches to check on
> works-in-progress, collaborate, etc? are they pushed to a shared repository
> somewhere, documented somewhere where they are easily found, ...?
>
> > I guess it doesn't work for KDE, or how could the merging from next into
> > master be done ?
>
> i don't know about kdelibs, but i'm going to end up doing that for large parts
> of kde-workspace. (though i'm hoping/expecting for help from others so that
> it's not just bottlenecking on me alone. :)
>
> so maybe it's not without hope that we find a few people who play the role of
> "merge master" for kdelibs as well.

In calligra, i was surprised to see people taking to branching like pigs to muck or fish to water. We now have 37 feature branches, of which several have merged to master after review already. There's a simple naming pattern that's become sort of the calligra culture already -- subproject_topic_commit-name -- and it all works out very well. Master is pretty stable now.

Locally, I have a krita-super branch where I merge all krita topic branches and master regularly so I have feel for what's going on. That one is about as stable as trunk used to be :-)

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org