proposal: remove KTextEditor interface from kdelibs repository

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Feb 1 17:49:31 GMT 2011

On Tuesday, February 1, 2011, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> So far, we as packagers have been told that applications can expect all
> plugins (kio slaves, kparts, ...) located in kdelibs and kdebase-runtime
> to be available, and segfault is a acceptable way of handling missing
> things.

to boil it down to its essence, then, the primary issue is that we have a
"black box" with various runtime plugins in it that applications may or may
not rely on.

perhaps we should think about being more clear in our runtime definitions and
stricter with requiring apps to advertise their runtime expectations, so that
we can go from having a huge pile of dependencies to just the requirements for
a given application.

there's also a conflict of interest between packaging and development going on
here. development needs/wants one thing, packaging needs/wants a different
thing. exploring ways to more clearly and cleanly create a working division
bewteen development and release management may be something for us to consider
as well.

(i'm thinking about the above mostly in the context of the upcoming Platform11
dev sprint in June .. gathering topics :)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se