proposal: remove KTextEditor interface from kdelibs repository

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Tue Feb 1 13:12:08 GMT 2011

On 2011-02-01, Christoph Cullmann <cullmann at absint.de> wrote:
>> So far, we as packagers have been told that applications can expect all
>> plugins (kio slaves, kparts, ...) located in kdelibs and kdebase-runtime
>> to be available, and segfault is a acceptable way of handling missing
>> things.
> I agree that this will lead to additional dependency to kate package for some
> modules, but is this that bad?

It is bad, because the software is already out there. We cannot go out
and change dependencies for things already released.

And we don't know what software it is. KDE Software is in no way
'announcing' what plugins they requires. nor which they can optionally
use. So we have two ways of figuring out who needs to require katepart.
1) make nothing require katepart and wait for bug reports and play
whack-a-mole
2) read thru the sourcecode of all software built on KDE Platform

or just be on the safe side and pretend that katepart is still part of
kdelibs

>> It also means that people who builds from source can do svn up / git
>> pull  in kdelibs and install new requirements,make, make install and
>> still have all apps working.
> They never can do that. Every now and then new dependencies come up. New
> versions of virtuoso needed, new lib*, whatever. You NEVER was able to rely
> that you can just up + recompile kdelibs and be fine. Normally it not even
> compiled...

Yes. you could rely that when kdelibs *compiled*, things worked. We are
shipping things built against 4.1 or 4.2 that are run against 4.4, 4.5
or 4.6.

/Sune