kdeinit (was: Summary from Buildsystem BoF at Desktop Summit)

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sun Aug 21 18:13:43 BST 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 06:15:53PM +0200, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Sunday, 21 de August de 2011 17:30:39 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > if kde is ever going to have
> > any globally significant market share (*), then as applications and
> > possibly an alternative shell - on top of gnome os.
> >
> > (*) exclude from that specialized markets [...].
>
> Considering the audience and considering that KDE has more deployments
> than GNOME, why can't it be the other way around?

this is where we started from. gnome is now serious about making a
complete platform. if they succeed, they will win. big time. that's how
apple did it, at the technical level. and how kde won't, due to lack of
interest (commercial or otherwise) in that area.

> Why do we need to drop what we already have and are ahead to gain
> more?

the point is that there isn't much to drop. it's some barely
maintained code, and some informal specifications the best of which we
could implement in gnome with relative ease if we actually cared to.

> You're not going to find supporters of that idea here. [...]
i'm not sure whether you believe that this is how it should be or
whether this is resignated cynicism.