kdeinit (was: Summary from Buildsystem BoF at Desktop Summit)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Aug 21 17:15:53 BST 2011

On Sunday, 21 de August de 2011 17:30:39 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > That sounds very much like the GnomeOS idea...
>
> yes, it does. i'm fully sold on that idea. if kde is ever going to have
> any globally significant market share (*), then as applications and
> possibly an alternative shell - on top of gnome os.
>
>  exclude from that specialized markets where a broad range of
> applications (and thus a workable 3rd party developer platform) is
> insignificant.

Considering the audience and considering that KDE has more deployments than
GNOME, why can't it be the other way around? Why do we need to drop what we
already have and are ahead to gain more?

You're not going to find supporters of that idea here. Therefore, we will
continue to develop KDE Platform as the main desktop and require GNOME apps to
integrate with us instead (and if they don't, we'll probably call their apps
and frameworks badly designed -- which will be partly right and partly wrong
and petty).

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358