kdeinit (was: Summary from Buildsystem BoF at Desktop Summit)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Aug 21 19:32:07 BST 2011

On Sunday, 21 de August de 2011 19:13:43 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > Considering the audience and considering that KDE has more deployments
> > than GNOME, why can't it be the other way around?
>
> this is where we started from. gnome is now serious about making a
> complete platform. if they succeed, they will win. big time. that's how
> apple did it, at the technical level. and how kde won't, due to lack of
> interest (commercial or otherwise) in that area.

You seem to imply that we're not serious about doing the same. Your only
argument so far was that we have less manpower than the GNOME team.

First of all, manpower has never been an argument. We can do more with less
people if we're more efficient.

Second, the recent advances in Contour, Active, Akonadi and other technologies
would seem to deny your assertion that we're not serious.

And third, I think you overestimate their manpower anyway. If you count
Canonical as the big driver for a cohesive desktop system, you should count
them out already.

> > Why do we need to drop what we already have and are ahead to gain
> > more?
>
> the point is that there isn't much to drop. it's some barely
> maintained code, and some informal specifications the best of which we
> could implement in gnome with relative ease if we actually cared to.

Which we don't.

There's code that's barely maintained, true. I can think of KIO, for example.
Do you think all of Gtk and even glib is fully maintained? With quality
assurance even?

But there's also a lot of code that is maintained very well. And I'd like to
point out that the foundation of KDE is Qt, which is *very* well maintained
and tested.

> > You're not going to find supporters of that idea here. [...]
>
> i'm not sure whether you believe that this is how it should be or
> whether this is resignated cynicism.

I believe you're not going to find supporters for dropping half of KDE's goals
in a KDE mailing list.

I don't support it because a) I don't think the GNOME team has a bigger chance
than we do and b) because I want KDE to do it.

Should we pull efforts together? Yeah. Not gonna happen, though.
      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358