kdeinit (was: Summary from Buildsystem BoF at Desktop Summit)

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sun Aug 21 16:30:39 BST 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 03:54:12PM +0100, John Layt wrote:
> On Saturday 20 Aug 2011 10:14:20 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > and he's right. show me one case where the outcome of his low-level work
> > did not meet kde requirements.
>
> Ummm, Pulse Audio?  It completely broke sound under KDE.

it completely broke sound for everyone; kde isn't special in any way.
you have to break an egg to make an omelette. read his blog for details.
neither can it be said that the outcome did not meet kde's requirements;
kde merely didn't catch up fast enough.

> If we have people willing to do the work to support KDE on BSD, then
> who are we to stop them provided the rest of KDE isn't negatively
> affected?

the point is that not following recent trends *will* negatively affect
kde.

> Will we also stop supporting Windows and OSX because we're not fully
> integrated there and just focus on Linux?

as was already noted somewhere else, kde and gnome applications already
do integrate better with each other on windows and mac than inside gnome
or kde - exactly because these are full platforms.
and if the kde workspace doesn't run on them ... big deal.

> That sounds very much like the GnomeOS idea...

yes, it does. i'm fully sold on that idea. if kde is ever going to have
any globally significant market share (*), then as applications and
possibly an alternative shell - on top of gnome os.

(*) exclude from that specialized markets where a broad range of
applications (and thus a workable 3rd party developer platform) is
insignificant.