kdeinit (was: Summary from Buildsystem BoF at Desktop Summit)

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Sun Aug 21 15:54:12 BST 2011

On Saturday 20 Aug 2011 10:14:20 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 08:00:19PM +0100, John Layt wrote:
> > I've certainly seen him state that he doesn't care about KDE, that we are
> > irrelevent to anything he does, and he sees no reason to collaborate on
> > anything with us.
>
> and he's right. show me one case where the outcome of his low-level work
> did not meet kde requirements.

Ummm, Pulse Audio?  It completely broke sound under KDE.  It caused a lot of
users a lot of pain before Colin come along to fix it for us and for Gnome
users too.  I don't want to see a repeat of that, so figuring out how to get
Lennart to care becomes important.

> > It's similar to his attitude towards *BSD.
>
> he's right with that, too. if the bsd's (or solaris, for that matter)
> want to stay relevant on the desktop, they need to catch up with linux.
> or put differently, they make up about about 0.1% of our user base,
> which easily could be several times bigger if we were able to provide
> something well-integrated (mac os x anyone?). do you think they are
> worth sacrificing?

I have no problem with him saying he won't support BSD, I'm happy for them to
write their own patches or version, but that's a bit hard for them to do if
the dbus api is a moving target.  If we have people willing to do the work to
support KDE on BSD, then who are we to stop them provided the rest of KDE
isn't negatively affected?  Will we also stop supporting Windows and OSX
because we're not fully integrated there and just focus on Linux?  That sounds
very much like the GnomeOS idea...

John.