kdeinit (was: Summary from Buildsystem BoF at Desktop Summit)

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sat Aug 20 11:19:20 BST 2011

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 11:03:44AM +0200, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> Ossi's email demonstrates an utter lack of understanding on his part
> as to what kdelibs is.

errrm ... right. i hope you had enough time now to rethink that
statement. ;)

> we do not control all (or even most) of the
> Linux OS space. it's a little megalomaniacal to think we can or should and
> still be able to develop effective applications and solutions for our users.
> division of labour is pretty important in achieving that, particularly as
> F/OSS does not particularly have a huge amount of resources that we can afford
> to waste on duplication without serious benefit arrising from it.

i'm not sure whether this was a taunt in gnome's direction or a complete
misunderstanding of what i said ... but anyway: thanks for making my
point better than i ever could have myself. :P

> imho in a more perfect world, the current efforts from the GNOME community
> would concentrate almost exclusively on the kind of middleware that they have
> shown an interest and resource readiness for and we'd concentrate almost
> exclusively on portable application libraries, applications and workspaces.

i think about 90% of the gnome community would consider this a pretty
ridiculous statement ...