kdeinit (was: Summary from Buildsystem BoF at Desktop Summit)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Aug 17 10:03:44 BST 2011

On Tuesday, August 16, 2011 20:58:02 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> frameworks (qt-based), applications and workspace, that sounds pretty
> muchwhat the KDE Platform is. What are you excluding in your definition?

indeed; Ossi's email demonstrates an utter lack of understanding on his part
as to what kdelibs is. he confuses it with trying to create an operating
system user land stack as opposed to a set of application development tools
which integrate with the OS and its userland.

we target more than just Linux and we do not control all (or even most) of the
Linux OS space. it's a little megalomaniacal to think we can or should and
still be able to develop effective applications and solutions for our users.
division of labour is pretty important in achieving that, particularly as
F/OSS does not particularly have a huge amount of resources that we can afford
to waste on duplication without serious benefit arrising from it.

imho in a more perfect world, the current efforts from the GNOME community
would concentrate almost exclusively on the kind of middleware that they have
shown an interest and resource readiness for and we'd concentrate almost
exclusively on portable application libraries, applications and workspaces.
the line of cooperation and collaboration would be far clearer, our (KDE and
GNOME's) resources much more efficiently used and our user and developer
stories for F/OSS would be so much clearer.

those who continue to cling to some mythical struggle over control of
middleware when we are a portable, application-focused community are out of
touch with reality.

(and i would say similarly for those dealing with the complimentary issue ..)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se