kdeinit (was: Summary from Buildsystem BoF at Desktop Summit)

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sat Aug 20 09:02:31 BST 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 08:58:02PM +0200, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> frameworks (qt-based), applications and workspace, that sounds pretty much
> what the KDE Platform is. What are you excluding in your definition?
>
> kded, klauncher, kdeinit, kglobalaccel, kwallet?

yes, among other things.

kded's module activation is redundant with systemd.
as it happens, lennart also made a mini-daemon dealing with host name
changes, which is another thing kded does.
klauncher is conceptually redundant with systemd as well. the backend it
uses is kdeinit, which *should* be in systemd - it's not like it would
not benefit gnome as well (otherwise there would be no maemo booster) -
we just need some fresh numbers to justify the hack, and some arguments
why the hack isn't *that* bad after all.

kwallet is already in the process of being replaced by a cross-desktop
specification. i don't see why the backend needs to be desktop-specific,
but i guess a monolithic implementation is easier, both technically and
on a collaboration level.

kglobalaccel would sorely need a cross-desktop solution on the backend
side, too.

but it gets more interesting. just look into systemsettings and see how
many things are kde-specific while they should be global, often even
below the desktop level.
most of this doesn't need shared code; it could be covered by shared
specification. but to do this, there needs to be a powerful shared
configuration storage. dconf anyone?