Summary from Buildsystem BoF at Desktop Summit

Scott Kitterman kde at kitterman.com
Thu Aug 18 23:07:31 BST 2011

On Monday, August 15, 2011 05:31:26 PM Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> 5) Required cmake version
> --------------------------------
>
> David noted that we (KDE) are very conservative with the required CMake
> version, i.e. we still depend on CMake 2.6.4, which is more than a year
> old. Me (Alex) noted that this is on purpose to keep the pain for
> developers as small as possible (having to update Qt from time to time is
> enough).
>
> Now, with the upstreaming efforts (see 1) ), Alex is currently pushing hard
> to  get everything we need into the next cmake release (2.8.6), but
> possibly not everything will make this deadline. Unfortunately the cmake
> 2.8.6 release cycle is shorter than the previous CMake release cycles
> (since they were too long).
>
> All attendees agreed that it will be ok if the KDE frameworks branch will
> require the latest released cmake version, until it has everything we need.
>
> This means, KDE frameworks will require CMake 2.8.6 more or less as soon
> as  CMake 2.8.6RC1 has been released.
>
> Later on, it may require 2.8.7 and 2.8.8.
>
> For kdelibs probably nothing will change.
>
> This is good news for me :-)

Sorry for the delayed reply ...

I think the proposed plan makes sense (KDE frameworks branch will require the
latest released cmake version), but the description of "released" is suprising
to me.  I don't think of an RC as being released.  Could the plan be required
when it's released and not RC, not quite released?

Scott K