Summary from Buildsystem BoF at Desktop Summit

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Aug 22 20:42:46 BST 2011

On Friday 19 August 2011, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Monday, August 15, 2011 05:31:26 PM Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > 5) Required cmake version
> > --------------------------------
> >
> > David noted that we (KDE) are very conservative with the required CMake
> > version, i.e. we still depend on CMake 2.6.4, which is more than a year
> > old. Me (Alex) noted that this is on purpose to keep the pain for
> > developers as small as possible (having to update Qt from time to time is
> > enough).
> >
> > Now, with the upstreaming efforts (see 1) ), Alex is currently pushing
> > hard to  get everything we need into the next cmake release (2.8.6), but
> > possibly not everything will make this deadline. Unfortunately the cmake
> > 2.8.6 release cycle is shorter than the previous CMake release cycles
> > (since they were too long).
> >
> > All attendees agreed that it will be ok if the KDE frameworks branch will
> > require the latest released cmake version, until it has everything we
> > need.
> >
> > This means, KDE frameworks will require CMake 2.8.6 more or less as soon
> > as  CMake 2.8.6RC1 has been released.
> >
> > Later on, it may require 2.8.7 and 2.8.8.
> >
> > For kdelibs probably nothing will change.
> >
> > This is good news for me :-)
>
> Sorry for the delayed reply ...
>
> I think the proposed plan makes sense (KDE frameworks branch will require
> the latest released cmake version), but the description of "released" is
> suprising to me.  I don't think of an RC as being released.  Could the
> plan be required when it's released and not RC, not quite released?

This is just for the time when the developers working on KDE frameworks are
doing the hard work and are breaking stuff anyway, i.e. the next few months.
Once there is a release of KDE frameworks or it has at least stabilized
somewhat, so that more people start using it, of course a more conservative
approach to the required cmake version will be taken again.

This does not affect normal KDE development until KDE frameworks are required.

Alex