Empty merges per release

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Apr 27 19:59:05 BST 2011

On Wednesday 27 April 2011, John Layt wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 Apr 2011 17:52:32 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Wednesday 27 April 2011, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > > I know we decided to use cherry-picks to bring commits from past
> > > versions to master,
> >
> > Is this what is described here ?
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git/Recipes
>
> Well, it's a recipe on how to do a cherry-pick, not official policy.  I am
> supposed to be drafting a revision the SVN commit policy to address such
> issues but 1) I've been otherwise busy and 2) every time the issue of
> workflow is raised on k-c-d it just gets ignored or goes around in circles.
>  I'd planned to try raise it again this weekend, we need to get a  policy
> sorted.
>
> > Our git docs are still not in good shape:
>
> Yeap, I've slowly been adding stuff to
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Git as I learn it, but help from people
> who actually understand Git would be welcome.
>
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git - remove ?
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git/Pushing - talks about
> > gitorious, remove ?
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git/KdeOnGit - same as
> > above, remove ?
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git/Intermediate - not much
> > there
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git/Recipes vs.
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Git/Recipes - what to do with these
> > two ?
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git/git-svn - is this still
> > valid ?
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Development - the git icon is broken
>
> The Tutorial is seriously outdated, I haven't had time to eitehr revise it
> or extract the good bits from it.  I'm contemplating just hiding it for now
> as it would be seriously misleading to any GSoC students who try follow it.

I mean, I can help with simple things.

If we agree that the following pages should be gone
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git/Pushing
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git/KdeOnGit
I can do that.
Should I use the "Delete" link or something else ?

I could merge the one item from
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git/Recipes into
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Git/Recipes and remove the former one.

What about the git-svn page ? I guess this one is ok, or ?

I can also add the extra links from the original Tutorials/Git/ page to the
new starting page, so they don't get lost.

So, if you want me to do that, please let me know.

Other than that, I don't feel qualified to actually edit content there.

Alex