Empty merges per release

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 27 18:22:46 BST 2011

On Wednesday 27 Apr 2011 17:52:32 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 April 2011, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > I know we decided to use cherry-picks to bring commits from past versions
> > to master,
>
> Is this what is described here ?
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git/Recipes

Well, it's a recipe on how to do a cherry-pick, not official policy.  I am
supposed to be drafting a revision the SVN commit policy to address such
issues but 1) I've been otherwise busy and 2) every time the issue of workflow
is raised on k-c-d it just gets ignored or goes around in circles.  I'd
planned to try raise it again this weekend, we need to get a  policy sorted.

> Our git docs are still not in good shape:

Yeap, I've slowly been adding stuff to http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Git
as I learn it, but help from people who actually understand Git would be
welcome.

> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git - remove ?
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git/Pushing - talks about
> gitorious, remove ?
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git/KdeOnGit - same as above,
> remove ?
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git/Intermediate - not much
> there
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git/Recipes vs.
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Git/Recipes - what to do with these two
> ?
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git/git-svn - is this still
> valid ?
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development - the git icon is broken

The Tutorial is seriously outdated, I haven't had time to eitehr revise it or
extract the good bits from it.  I'm contemplating just hiding it for now as it
would be seriously misleading to any GSoC students who try follow it.

For now, http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Git should be the start point for
anyone.

Cheers!

John.