Filelight into kdereview (again)

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Tue Sep 28 18:31:38 BST 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Nick Shaforostoff
<shaforostoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/9/28 Martin Sandsmark <sandsmark at samfundet.no>:
>> I'd rather you spend your time making it easier for people to get kdelibs on Windows
>> if you care about Windows, as this will also benefit other KDE applications (like KTorrent and
>> KMail and whatnot else I imagine Windows people would like).
>
> I ran kdewin installer. Just selecting a simple app like kate triggers
> installing a lot of packages I don't need, like mysql, soprano,
> phonon.
>
> If I want to show filelight to a typical windows user, he would reject
> this when he sees the huge (also in terms of disk space) package list
> that is needed for it.
> I believe users need filelight to clean their hard drives, not to fill
> it with megabytes of some software ;)

The problems with the rather unwieldy Windows installer are known, and
being worked on. It is actually possible to make KDE software
installers just as easy to use and pretty as "normal" Windows
installers.

For an example, check out our experimental Amarok installer here:

http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Download:Windows#Windows_Installer_by_Nitrostemp

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer