dependencies on KJS/KHTML in kdelibs and kdebase-runtime

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Fri Sep 24 10:37:21 BST 2010

>> [: Aaron J. Seigo :]
>> furthermore, it is has become quite evident that on these devices,
>> anything requiring KJS/KHTML will not make it onto them.
>
> [: Harri Porten :]
> Begs the question how much of KDE will make it onto these devices at all.
> Isn't it all duplication? And looking at how slow 4.x still is on many
> desktop PCs I don't see e.g. Plasma "fly" there either. [...]

These are some of the questions that popped into my mind too when Aaron was
argumenting (in private communication) why it is beter to switch KTranscript
_from KJS to QtScript. But I didn't want to go into that because I don't have
a clue about this distribution/integration/mobile/... stuff, so I asked
Aaron if he could present the matter to the list instead, so that I can just
pick up "the conclusion".

> [...] Hence the KDE project might be careful what to put its cards on.
> Doesn't take away the freedom to try it, of course.

This is a bit too fuzzy for me :)

To put it plainly, if I'm the maintainer of a piece of code (in kdelibs,
kdebase, wherever) that uses KJS, and someone offers me to port that code to
QtScript himself (stating as reasons wider availability, higher performance,
and shorter code), is there a reason to refuse that? (Assuming there exists
a battery of unit tests, which in my case is not true, but we may do them as
a prerequisite.)

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)