Fwd: User bus conclusion

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Nov 10 16:13:20 GMT 2010

On Wednesday 10 November 2010, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > > In theory.
> > > When you have a second D-Bus sessiom bus, running an Akonadi
> > > application will attempt to start Akonadi for that bus, which will
> > > fail because the database is already being used the Akonadi on the
> > > first session bus.
> > >
> > > A user bus would allow Akonadi to be shared between user sessions.
> >
> > I don't know much about dbus, but... wouldn't the application have to
> > know which bus to look on, then? would that be troublesome?
>
> They currently assume session bus, i.e. while we store the bus address used
> by the server in a runtime file, clients basically just use
> QDBusConnection::sessionBus().
>
> Assuming the existance of a user bus, this would be the one server and
> clients would connect to, thus avoiding the problem of using the wrong
> session bus.

Yes for daemons a user bus sounds good. But not for anything with a GUI - e.g.
you wouldn't be able to run any kuniqueapplication twice (once on each
display), since the bus would tell it "you're already running".

I like the idea of a user bus, but I'm very much against the idea of
deprecating the session bus. We should be able to use both.