Fwd: User bus conclusion

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Nov 10 12:35:32 GMT 2010

On Wednesday, 2010-11-10, Chani wrote:
> > > Actually, with the Akonadi based kmail, it no longer needs to be a
> > > singleton and in fact isn't anymore, afaik. There is a per user Akonadi
> > > server, and you can connect to it from as many clients, graphical or
> > > otherwise, as you wish.
> >
> > In theory.
> > When you have a second D-Bus sessiom bus, running an Akonadi application
> > will attempt to start Akonadi for that bus, which will fail because the
> > database is already being used the Akonadi on the first session bus.
> >
> > A user bus would allow Akonadi to be shared between user sessions.
>
> I don't know much about dbus, but... wouldn't the application have to know
> which bus to look on, then? would that be troublesome?

They currently assume session bus, i.e. while we store the bus address used by
the server in a runtime file, clients basically just use
QDBusConnection::sessionBus().

Assuming the existance of a user bus, this would be the one server and clients
would connect to, thus avoiding the problem of using the wrong session bus.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring