why kdelibs?

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 13:04:56 GMT 2010

Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> On Saturday 30 October 2010, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> Replying to John and Kevin here.
>>
>> John Layt wrote:
>> > Some excellent points, and it makes clear the sort of areas we need to
>> > be
>> > working on.  Currently choosing to use kdelibs or any other KDE library
>> > just as an extra Qt module usually means more pain, not less, which
>> > really should be our selling point.
>> >
>> > Do we have a wiki page were 'what can be fixed now' and 'what needs
>> > fixing in
>> > KDE5' has been/can be written down?  Perhaps a version of
>> > http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Mobile/PlatformModifications but with
>> > a little more detail?
>>
>> I have wanted to write this down in words for some time, so here it is:
>>
>> http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects/KDELibsModifications
>
> Doesn't that in some way relate to the KDE platform profiles work Kevin
> Ottens
> is doing  (
> http://home.kde.org/~akademy10/slides/KDE_Platform_Profiles_-
_Low_fat_software_platform_you_can_pick_and_choose_from_with_sugar_coating_on_top-
Kevin_Ottens.pdf
> http://ervin.ipsquad.net/2010/04/29/kde-platform-profiles-its-alive/
> http://ervin.ipsquad.net/2010/11/04/kde-platform-profiles-help-me-help-
you/)
> ?
>
> I mean, with a set of libs with dependencies cut down as is the case for
> Tablet or even more the Mobile profile, doesn't that go a long way to
> making the libraries easier usable by other projects ?

Perhaps. Kevins work seems to split the kde development platform into
pieces, but doesn't separate functional libraries from platformy bits.

It is more modularization though and less interdependence though, so
definitely complimentary.

All the best,

Steve.