why kdelibs?

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Nov 10 13:27:35 GMT 2010

On Wednesday 10 November 2010 14:04:56 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > I mean, with a set of libs with dependencies cut down as is the case for
> > Tablet or even more the Mobile profile, doesn't that go a long way to
> > making the libraries easier usable by other projects ?
>
> Perhaps. Kevins work seems to split the kde development platform into
> pieces, but doesn't separate functional libraries from platformy bits.

Exactly. It helps but that's work I'm doing under a "keep the BC as much as
possible" mantra as I didn't want to start a KDE5. BICs happen from time to
time, and that's the small delta between the ABI of Desktop and Mobile
profiles.

> It is more modularization though and less interdependence though, so
> definitely complimentary.

Yes, I really see it as preliminary work toward a KDE5 (as stated in one of
the last slides of my talk). It's still not KDE5 work (see the mantra above)
but it'll definitely help when the time comes (at least I hope so).

Now, seeing how painless the libkutils splitting happened... It might be
possible to explode our current libraries into smaller ones if needed, and
that's something we could do today. The problems happen when we need to
regroup classes which are in different libraries today, but splitting seems
doable to me (I've a couple of such splits on my internal TODO, but it's
unscheduled work).

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net