why kdelibs?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Nov 9 21:13:42 GMT 2010

On Saturday 30 October 2010, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Replying to John and Kevin here.
>
> John Layt wrote:
> > Some excellent points, and it makes clear the sort of areas we need to be
> > working on.  Currently choosing to use kdelibs or any other KDE library
> > just as an extra Qt module usually means more pain, not less, which
> > really should be our selling point.
> >
> > Do we have a wiki page were 'what can be fixed now' and 'what needs
> > fixing in
> > KDE5' has been/can be written down?  Perhaps a version of
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Mobile/PlatformModifications but with a
> > little more detail?
>
> I have wanted to write this down in words for some time, so here it is:
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects/KDELibsModifications

Doesn't that in some way relate to the KDE platform profiles work Kevin Ottens
is doing  (
http://home.kde.org/~akademy10/slides/KDE_Platform_Profiles_-_Low_fat_software_platform_you_can_pick_and_choose_from_with_sugar_coating_on_top-Kevin_Ottens.pdf
http://ervin.ipsquad.net/2010/04/29/kde-platform-profiles-its-alive/
http://ervin.ipsquad.net/2010/11/04/kde-platform-profiles-help-me-help-you/) ?

I mean, with a set of libs with dependencies cut down as is the case for
Tablet or even more the Mobile profile, doesn't that go a long way to making
the libraries easier usable by other projects ?

It could also help porting to platforms like Windows or Mac.
Maybe we would be fine if we would say we support on Windows or Mac only
the "Tablet" or "Mobile" profile, which would mean
* less dependencies (very good for these platforms)
* less KDE desktop integration (shouldn't be a problem on these platforms).

Alex