[Kde-maemo] sprint opportunity

Alexis Ménard menard at kde.org
Wed May 26 22:50:34 BST 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 11:43 PM, Markus <kamikazow at web.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 26 Mai 2010, 14:49:58 schrieb Artur Souza (MoRpHeUz):
>> I think that not right now as there is too much to be achieved before
>> going to Symbian platform. If people providing the KDE-on-Symbian
>> sprint are not willing to see results as soon as possible it's ok
>
> We don't even know a clear roadmap of Symbian^4-based devices. Only a vague
> "devices ship in H1 2010". Will even any manufacturer besides Nokia pick it
> up? Will Nokia outphase Symbian completely by 2013 or so and use MeeGo?
>
> Let's say, only Nokia picks Symbian^4 up, but already plans to outphase it in
> favor of MeeGo by 2013, a Symbian port would not even make sense at all. Or am
> I wrong?
> Honestly, I think that porting the SC and Qt to BlackBerry OS would make more
> sense in the long term (not saying that a BlackBerry port should be
> undertaken, just that Symbian's future is uncertain). AFAIK there is no clear
> commitment by Nokia to Symbian for the time after 2011.

Blackberry OS is not the job of KDE if Qt is not on that platform. And
for now there is no plan for this port so we can forget about this
idea in a near future.

I tend to agree with you, this sprint is I think useless in a sense
that Symbian with high end devices is clearly not a 100% sure
variable. Also we do *NOT* have now an hardware than can handle KDE.
N97 mini or N97 is a no go. Perhaps the N8 but not sure.

Let's focus on what we have *NOW* a N900 on where we can have nice
result already and wait upcoming devices with Meego. We have so much
to do regardless the platform we are targeting. When the work is done
then we can think about extending our support (like we did with
Windows and Mac).

Please reconsider the complete scope of the meeting.