Shared OSD Service for KDE

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue May 11 16:54:05 BST 2010

On Tuesday 11 of May 2010, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> It was probably done this way to reuse notify-osd look'n'feel, but I
> think it's a bad idea: Notifications should be used when an application
> wants to talk to you of something which happened in the background. It
> should not be used as a feedback for an action you explicitly triggered.
> You certainly do not want volume or brightness feedback to be queued
> with notifications.

 That is not how KNotification is used now though, it is used when something
happened, regardless of whether it was in foreground or background. KWin
events, KDE startup/logout events, etc.

 And I actually think this should be an addition to KNotification (with the
obvious requirement of adding a way to send the numeric value) rather than
something separate. Why should an app decide whether to do a notification
about something using OSD or something else instead of simply sending it to
KNotification to deal with it?

--
 Lubos Lunak
 openSUSE Boosters team, KDE developer