Shared OSD Service for KDE

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue May 11 19:40:26 BST 2010

On May 11, 2010, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>  And I actually think this should be an addition to KNotification (with the
> obvious requirement of adding a way to send the numeric value) rather than
> something separate. Why should an app decide whether to do a notification
> about something using OSD or something else instead of simply sending it to
> KNotification to deal with it?

really good idea imho; KNotification would require adding a numeric value, as
you note, and we'd need a new category in KNotify for OSD, but that would be
about it.

what do you think about putting the OSD display directly in KNotify as well
(instead of a kded module)? it would probably still need to expose a dbus
interface if/when we wanted to make this an fd.o specification, though. but
KNotify could easily just register that service itself and it would be
"talking to itself" (which avoids hitting the bus at all with QtDBus iirc) so
should be reasonable.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se