Shared OSD Service for KDE

Aurélien Gâteau aurelien.gateau at canonical.com
Tue May 11 11:31:26 BST 2010

On 10/05/2010 23:50, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On May 10, 2010, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> indicator specification under development at Ubuntu may be a better way
>
> Canonical is working on a specification relevat to OSDs? if so, can you point
> me to a link to this work? thanks.

Not that I know of :). I think Colin may be confused with notify-osd:
notify-osd supports Canonical-specific hints to be able to display
volume and brightness information. gnome-power-manager and gnome-mixer
have been patched to send notifications when the user adjusts brightness
or volume.

It was probably done this way to reuse notify-osd look'n'feel, but I
think it's a bad idea: Notifications should be used when an application
wants to talk to you of something which happened in the background. It
should not be used as a feedback for an action you explicitly triggered.
You certainly do not want volume or brightness feedback to be queued
with notifications.

Aurélien