Shared OSD Service for KDE

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue May 11 09:03:28 BST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Aaron J. Seigo at 10/05/10 22:50 did gyre and gimble:
> Canonical is working on a specification relevat to OSDs? if so, can you point
> me to a link to this work? thanks.

Well I'm not following it super closely as I personally didn't like the
way they decided to not implement support for action callbacks in the
notifications specification.

But from how I understand it, they are working on libindicator and a
bunch of related systems that allow for the display of e.g. volume
changes etc. It's a dbus based system and they have made the design
decision that the frontend and backend must not be directly linked (and
thus unable to crash each other).

All of it goes under the banner of Ayatana:
https://launchpad.net/ayatana

By the sounds of things Aurélien will be a better person to ask about
this, as I don't want to talk about something I don't fully understand
and spread FUD (unintended or otherwise!)

He's got some background here:
http://people.canonical.com/~agateau/indicate/

So I've added him to CC (Hi!) :)

Col