Shared OSD Service for KDE

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon May 10 10:55:04 BST 2010

'Twas brillig, and Ozan Çağlayan at 10/05/10 08:40 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi,
>
> I've been working to create a centralised way of rendering OSD widgets upon
> request for KDE4. Finally I wrote a KDED service which uses KOSD[0] to render
> OSD widgets.
>
> KOSD is a small KDE application which draws nice, polished and plasma-themed
> OSD with progress bars. I decoupled the Widget class from it and rewrote it as
> a KDED service.
>
> Currently KMix and the brightness patch of Felix Geyer are adjusted to make D-
> Bus calls when they need to show a notification.
>
> I don't know whether to implement this sort of thing as a KDED daemon makes
> sense but at least it works and we're using it in Pardus 2009.
>
> Code is at:
>   https://svn.pardus.org.tr/uludag/trunk/kde/kded_kosd/
>
> Screenshots:
>   http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~ozan/ivir/kosd1.png
>   http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~ozan/ivir/kosd2.png

I certainly like this approach.

While I'm not happy with a lot of the components and designs of it, the
indicator specification under development at Ubuntu may be a better way
to implement this in the future, but I don't think it necessary changes
how it is done just now.

I have several issues with the current kmix OSD so am happy to see this
patch basically kick it into touch :)

Would it be possible to display text on the OSD too? While I think it
should be optional, it may be handy to display which device the volume
is being adjusted for in the OSD (I've had reports of users accidentally
adjusting their HDMI volume via the OSD and not working out that they
are chainging the wrong volume - the text would solve that even if some
may argue it makes it uglier. So it would be nice to have the option :D)

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie