Shared OSD Service for KDE

Ozan Çağlayan ozan at pardus.org.tr
Mon May 10 08:40:01 BST 2010

Hi,

I've been working to create a centralised way of rendering OSD widgets upon
request for KDE4. Finally I wrote a KDED service which uses KOSD[0] to render
OSD widgets.

KOSD is a small KDE application which draws nice, polished and plasma-themed
OSD with progress bars. I decoupled the Widget class from it and rewrote it as
a KDED service.

Currently KMix and the brightness patch of Felix Geyer are adjusted to make D-
Bus calls when they need to show a notification.

I don't know whether to implement this sort of thing as a KDED daemon makes
sense but at least it works and we're using it in Pardus 2009.

Code is at:
  https://svn.pardus.org.tr/uludag/trunk/kde/kded_kosd/

Screenshots:
  http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~ozan/ivir/kosd1.png