Review Request: Add a confirmation window when emptying the trash

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Mar 30 19:10:52 BST 2010

On Tuesday 30 March 2010, Will Stephenson wrote:
> > On 2010-03-29 14:55:47, Tom Albers wrote:
> > > Why is this needed? It is emptying the trash, so the user deleted
> > > the stuff first already. I see no need for another confirmation
> > > and another dialog. It is already a 2 step action to delete
> > > something permanently.
> >
> > Nicolas Lécureuil wrote:
> >     This is a security, because emptying a trash is not an actions
> >     w/o consequences and the user can have asked to not beeing
> >     warned when deleting files. We use an "Don't ask me again"
> >     option so the window isn't shown anymore if this annoy the
> >     user.
> >
> >     I think this is a usuability improvement.
> >
> >     On kiorc we have :
> >
> >     [Confirmations]
> >     ConfirmDelete=true
> >     ConfirmTrash=true
> >
> >     One to ask or not when deleting files and one to ask or not
> >     when emptying the trash.
>
> I agree with Tom, this is bloat.  By default it is a 3 step action to
> permanently delete a file via the trash can. 1) invoke Move to Trash
> action
> 2) Confirm moving to Trash
> 3) Empty Trash
>
> You are adding 4) Confirm Empty Trash, because the user might have
> already disabled 2).  This makes the default path to permanently
> delete something a 4 step process which is excessively cautious.

I don't understand Tom's and your problem. Experienced users will use
Shift+Delete (which means permanent deletion is a two step operation). I
always use Shift+Delete. I never use Trash. But neither me nor you are
typical users.

Also, if the confirmation dialog has a "Don't ask this stupid question
again" check box then everybody who thinks the extra confirmation is
nonsense will disable it and be fine. So, what exactly is your point?

Regards,
Ingo