Git Migration Needs YOU!

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Tue Mar 2 17:27:01 GMT 2010

On Tue, March 2, 2010 4:09 pm, Tom Albers wrote:
> In all this discussions, my biggest problem is the complete focus on the
> technical issues and the complete lack of solutions for the impact of the
> community it will have. But I've played this record before a couple of
> times, so I'll stop now.

I agree. Having played with git, I haven't found it an easy thing to use
for real. In addition to the guide to git commands, the techbase tutorials
need to include such things as:

- guidance on what to do in response to common git error/information
messages. (I've often found it non-obvious how to overcome errors, and
have more than once reinitialised my git repositories rather than spend
ages working out how to make the repository usable again.)

- things like how best to specify specific file/directory version numbers.
Compared to svn, that's a complex subject.

- how to organise branches, do comparisons between branches, minimise
recompilation when switching branches, ...

This sort of thing will be really important for reducing developer time
spent on the switch, and might help prevent some people giving up
altogether. This documentation needs to be in a good state BEFORE the
switch to git.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.