Opposition to removing old KWin themes?

nuno pinheiro nuno at oxygen-icons.org
Tue Jul 27 10:47:48 BST 2010

On Tuesday 27 July 2010 10:27:44 Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 of July 2010, Chani wrote:
> > > The biggest problem with this issue (widget styles), is that it is
> > > inherently technical and complex, with how many widget styles in Qt use
> > > inheritance (from these other "ugly" themes) to make it easier to
> > > implement a style, that requires a technical solution.
> >
> > yuck. something to fix for kde 5 perhaps? ;)
> >
> > > And while this thread has gone
> > > way past useful at this point and may not have been started correctly,
> > > I think some of the technical solutions presented here may not have
> > > surfaced if this particular problem had been solved otherwise, at the
> > > expense of a slightly noisy day on a single mailing list.
> >
> > the technical problems could have been brought out in a less bikesheddy
> > way, though.
> > I'm actually a bit unsure about what technical stuff was important in the
> > end - iirc we can't remove or move the themes because of some weird BC
> > issue, but we can hide them? and I don't remember hearing anything about
> > inheritance...
>
>  Attempt #2:
>
>  Move the "unwanted" statically-linked Qt styles into plugins (or at least
> their factory code, which definitely is doable) and ask packagers to
> package them separately.
>
>  There, easy, no big problem. Definitely less work than having all the
> arguing and this "I know it the best and you can't have it the way you
> want no matter what" that for some reason seems to be one of KDE4's design
> principles.

Lubus will that reduce the number of kwin styles in default view to say 5? If
so great I have complete trust in you guys to pick 5 good ones, the ones i
care about would be oxygen ofcourse :), plastic as I still find it polished,
clean and modern, and Auroare for all the great flexibility it provides, on
the old ones ... quartz seams prettier than Redmond I really have a hard time
expressing an opinion on the remaining ones. :)

Cheers

--
oxygen guy, "I make the pretty pictures"