Opposition to removing old KWin themes?

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Jul 27 10:27:44 BST 2010

On Tuesday 27 of July 2010, Chani wrote:
> > The biggest problem with this issue (widget styles), is that it is
> > inherently technical and complex, with how many widget styles in Qt use
> > inheritance (from these other "ugly" themes) to make it easier to
> > implement a style, that requires a technical solution.
>
> yuck. something to fix for kde 5 perhaps? ;)
>
> > And while this thread has gone
> > way past useful at this point and may not have been started correctly, I
> > think some of the technical solutions presented here may not have
> > surfaced if this particular problem had been solved otherwise, at the
> > expense of a slightly noisy day on a single mailing list.
>
> the technical problems could have been brought out in a less bikesheddy
> way, though.
> I'm actually a bit unsure about what technical stuff was important in the
> end - iirc we can't remove or move the themes because of some weird BC
> issue, but we can hide them? and I don't remember hearing anything about
> inheritance...

 Attempt #2:

 Move the "unwanted" statically-linked Qt styles into plugins (or at least
their factory code, which definitely is doable) and ask packagers to package
them separately.

 There, easy, no big problem. Definitely less work than having all the arguing
and this "I know it the best and you can't have it the way you want no matter
what" that for some reason seems to be one of KDE4's design principles.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 openSUSE Boosters team, KDE developer
 l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org