Opposition to removing old KWin themes?

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 16:54:41 BST 2010

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 12:14 PM, nuno pinheiro <nuno at oxygen-icons.org> wrote:
> On Friday 23 July 2010 23:02:25 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
>> A Divendres, 23 de juliol de 2010, Leo Savernik va escriure:
>> >
>> > You sound as if KDE were shipped with Redmond theme turned on by default.
>> > Enabling the user to configure his system butt ugly but blazingly fast
>> > does not contradict elegance in any way.

Hi Nuno, you mentioned this at the Akademy, but I'm still unconvinced
it matters so much. Supposedly, most users never change the settings
from the defaults... so I cannot see how this is such a big problem in
practice.

> OOO but it does IMO. wen you present such an uncohesive list of ugly options
> that says alot about your overall elegance.

> I hate to sound like my wife wen I leave home poorly dressed, but the way we
> present ourself as a huge impact in this fast consuming low attention span
> world, the impact is of the worst kind and stands as a huge first entry level
> barrier that translate in something like this to "Joe facebook"  user "this
> guys are clueless and I don't want to be like them" i might also note that we
> have loads of such problems across KDE and this is not the worst case, but if
> we truly want a elegant polished desktop we need to start doing that,
> providing an overall polished experience were no detail is left to chance.

But we have; let's say that we also allow for a few nostalgic old
timers that don't know any better, like me? ;-)

Keeping in line with your analogy, I hope your wife did not throw away
all your white socks to be sure you could not embarass yourself...

I'm only joking, but I can say a few users would feel treated a bit in
the same way by a move like this.

Ciao,
Luciano

--
Luciano Montanaro

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams