Moving the proxy model test suite to kdesupport?

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 17:31:20 BST 2010

Andreas Pakulat wrote:

>> > This won't work, the tests are packaged when kdelibs tarballs are
>> > built, hence they need to be buildable from those packages too. That in
>> > turn means that either all dependencies the tests need are inside
>> > kdelibs or they are available from somewhere to download and install.
>>
>> The tests are currently inside kdelibs. I don't intend to change that.
>>
>> I only intend to add install() lines so that application developers can
>> use the library to debug their applications.
>
> If you install something as part of kdelibs you're bound by the kdelibs
> rules wrt. bc etc. AFAIK.

Maybe it's time for us to decide if we should have exceptions to that if
it's only build when building unit tests, not useful to link to and has
headers installed to .../private/... ?

> FWIW, the Qt modeltest code was only ever available from svn and that
> has spread itself too pretty well I think. So maybe its enough to brag
> about the test library a bit more and people will just copy it into
> their app-code temporarily during debugging?

There are a few related classes inside the library, copying is not just a
case of copying two files as in the case of modeltest.

Also, modeltest gets fragmented by being copied around so much. One of the
copies I put into svn diverged from the copy initially put in the TT svn.

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdepim/akonadi/akonadi_next/modeltest.cpp

That was copied into Qt at some point, so now the copy in Qt git differs
from the svn version

http://labs.trolltech.com/page/Projects/Itemview/Modeltest

and from my version, and possibly from the version in
kdeui/tests/proxymodeltestsuite. Copying is not really a good thing.

Finally, my experience so far is sitting down at the shoulders of other
people with model issues and trying to hack their build system of their app
to make it possible to include and use the modeltest and the modellogger in
the library. Everyone has a different layout of build directories and source
directories, and on Till's mac we needed to link to
/.../libproxymodeltestsuite.dylib instead of /.../libproxymodeltestsuite.so.

It's just not easy enough for people to use with me sitting next to them.
It's not a case of bragging.

So apart from policy, are there other technical reasons preventing the
installation of this stuff?

All the best,

Steve.