Moving the proxy model test suite to kdesupport?

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 16:14:30 BST 2010

Andreas Pakulat wrote:

>> install the proxymodeltestsuite library if it is built (it is only built
>> if KDE4_BUILD_TESTS is true).
>> install the headers to ${INSTALL_LOCATION}/private
>> not keep BC in the library.
>> not make the library part of ${KDE4_KDEUI_LIBRARIES}
>> not have the library packaged
>> not have any applications link to it or use it
>
> This won't work, the tests are packaged when kdelibs tarballs are built,
> hence they need to be buildable from those packages too. That in turn
> means that either all dependencies the tests need are inside kdelibs or
> they are available from somewhere to download and install.

The tests are currently inside kdelibs. I don't intend to change that.

I only intend to add install() lines so that application developers can use
the library to debug their applications.

>> If an application developer wants to debug an application (like kmail)
>> they can locally add a link to the library and that's it. No application
>> will ever ship which links to it, so I don't see any reason to version it
>> or maintain .so numbers.
>
> But kdelibs test need the library already, so either you remove that or
> you release something which kdelibs can (optionally) depend on.

The fact that the test library is already inside kdelibs makes this moot,
right?

Given that nothing changes with regard to buildability of packages, can I go
ahead with the above detailed plan?

All the best,

Steve.