Moving the proxy model test suite to kdesupport?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Jul 15 16:04:01 BST 2010

On 15.07.10 15:28:14, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Tom Albers wrote:
> > On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 00:41:27 +0300, Ingo Klöcker <kloecker at kde.org> wrote:
> >> If you don't want to guarantee BC then it does not belong into
> >> kdesupport IMO. kdesupport contains dependencies for kdelibs and all of
> >> those really should keep BC.
> >
> > Indeed, definitely not kdesupport.
> >
> >> If you do not want to guarantee BC then
> >> keep it in a private location, do not install it anywhere and have
> >> everybody who wants to use it copy it. You could move it to kdesdk
> >> (without installing it).
> >
> > Or extragear or playground.
>
> Neither extragear nor playground would work as kdeui/tests/proxymodeltestapp
> depends on it. So it needs to be in kdelibs or a dependency of kdelibs.
>
> /trunk/tests wouldn't work for the same reason.
>
> So in the interest of moving this along, this is what I want to do:
>
> install the proxymodeltestsuite library if it is built (it is only built if
> KDE4_BUILD_TESTS is true).
> install the headers to ${INSTALL_LOCATION}/private
> not keep BC in the library.
> not make the library part of ${KDE4_KDEUI_LIBRARIES}
> not have the library packaged
> not have any applications link to it or use it

This won't work, the tests are packaged when kdelibs tarballs are built,
hence they need to be buildable from those packages too. That in turn
means that either all dependencies the tests need are inside kdelibs or
they are available from somewhere to download and install.

> If an application developer wants to debug an application (like kmail) they
> can locally add a link to the library and that's it. No application will
> ever ship which links to it, so I don't see any reason to version it or
> maintain .so numbers.

But kdelibs test need the library already, so either you remove that or
you release something which kdelibs can (optionally) depend on.

Andreas

--
You're definitely on their list.  The question to ask next is what list it is.