kmix PulseAudio support

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jan 7 10:13:33 GMT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Christian Esken at 07/01/10 01:09 did gyre and gimble:
>> I think the dialogs are actually knotify passive popups so it's not
>> really as big a deal as I thought initially.
>
> These should only show up, when a complete soundcard gets unplugged. And only
> when the unplugged card includes the global Master control.
> In that case KMix informs the user that it has selected a new global Master
> (including the global shortcuts). But there should be no Shortcut dialog,
> especially, as technically (API-wise) there is no shortcut reassigning
> involved.

I think then that what I'm seeing is a by product of the structure of
the mixer. It seems I am always forced to have a recommended master,
even if it's not appropriate (and for per-app volumes, it most certainly
isn't appropriate IMO).

The code in question is:
Mixer_Backend::recommendedMaster()

It automatically picks a master for me if I've not specified one. Even
if I did manage to return a 0 here (which is nigh on impossible) then
the Mixer::openIfValid() would spew out kErrors about that fact.

In short, can I change this to that not having a master is acceptable?

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie