kmix PulseAudio support

Christian Esken esken at kde.org
Thu Jan 7 01:09:21 GMT 2010

Am Donnerstag, 7. Januar 2010 00:32:07 schrieb Colin Guthrie:
> 'Twas brillig, and Michael Jansen at 06/01/10 20:03 did gyre and gimble:
> > On Wednesday 06 January 2010 11:24:04 Colin Guthrie wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> After improving Phonon integration I've been digging through the kmix
> >> code to try and add proper PulseAudio support.
> >>
> >> I now have a set of patches that add this support and can commit it to
> >> trunk anytime people approve. I'm not 100% sure of trunk status due to
> >> 4.4 being ready soon.
> >>
> >> So can I commit?
> >>
> >> I have two remaining issues that I do not think are show stoppers:
> >>  1. Everytime a new device shows up a new Global Shortcut dialog
> >> appears. I don't think this is any different to ALSA but.... as I now
> >> have per-app volume control, this dialog is also shown everytime a new
> >> application plays sound. It only happens once, but it could still be
> >> considered annoying by some.
> >
> > What does that mean? Do you mean the information that application xyz
> > just registered a new global shortcut? If yes, for what is that shortcut?
>
> This code is already there but it seems that in kmix whenever a new
> audio device is found it allows you to assign a particular shortcut for
> muting or inc/dec'ing the volume on it. Not that I'm putting a lot more
> sliders into kmix this happens more often.

No. i haven't implemented that. It would be too annoying IMO.

> I think the dialogs are actually knotify passive popups so it's not
> really as big a deal as I thought initially.

These should only show up, when a complete soundcard gets unplugged. And only
when the unplugged card includes the global Master control.
In that case KMix informs the user that it has selected a new global Master
(including the global shortcuts). But there should be no Shortcut dialog,
especially, as technically (API-wise) there is no shortcut reassigning
involved.

  Christian