kmix PulseAudio support

Christian Esken esken at kde.org
Thu Jan 7 01:09:55 GMT 2010

Am Donnerstag, 7. Januar 2010 00:29:17 schrieb Colin Guthrie:
> 'Twas brillig, and Christian Esken at 06/01/10 19:09 did gyre and gimble:
> > Am Mittwoch, 6. Januar 2010 13:16:53 schrieb Alexis Ménard:
> >> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 12:56 PM, Helio Chissini de Castro
> >> <helio at kde.org>

> > Phonon integration is the way to go. Apps or App categories should show
> > as controls.
>
> Well I currently show one category - the "Events" one. This is done also
> in gnome and as event sounds are short lived it can be tricky to catch
> them individually so they are hidden and only the common slider is
> shown. I'll probably get round to showing other categories too, but this

A control that only appears for a short time would confuse me.

> one keeps things the same with pavucontrol and gnome-volume-control.
>
> > BTW: How does one activate the Phonone backend? I have never seen it in
> > action.
>
> There is no dedicated backend, but both the xine and gstreamer backends

Looks like I misunderstood. I thought it would be a Phonon Backend in KMix.

> > No, it doesn't happen for ALSA. Nor for OSS. Why should it?
> >
> > Anyhow, this is a showstopper.
>
> Actually I think it does show up for alsa (I saw it happen before with
> pristine kmix). That said the dialog in question I now realise is
> related to the notification daemon impementation I was running. My

So we can summarize:
- Notification: Yes (If you "unplug" the card with the current global master)
- Dialog: No

> > That is not good. Pulseaudio has always been a mess to me, usually it
> > would not work at all, haning applications (not only KMix).
>
> I'm confused, so you'd prefer I didn't provide ways for users to disable
> the PA integration?

Sorry to be unclear. I meant: Do not activate Pulse support by default. Let
the user make an active choice to do so.

> > Like me. Don't activate PulseAudio by default. IMO that beast is a mess.
>
> Again I'm confused. I don't "activate" anything. If the system is
> configured to use PA then I'll use it. This is surely the correct approach?

It could be correct - depending on what you mean with "configured".  Is it
enough that PA is installed? Or does a PA process have to be started? Or some
Backend configured to use PA?

I can only tell what I experienced: As long as PA was installed, sooner or
later some smart program (not necessarily a KDE or Phonon program) would try
to use it and I got problems.

> > What exactly do you mean with "new"?!?
> >
> > You guys get me quite confused in this mail thread. Please do not say "it
> > is bad" or "lets change things" without indicating what you mean.
>
> Having not jumped into the Kmix code before, I can say that the mixers
> and such it exposes are very restrictive. The channels and mappings are
> fixed and nailed down to pre-defined concepts rather than giving a

I don't understand: Fixed channels? Are you talking about layout?
And what are mappings?

> flexible structure onto which I can build. It was quite hard to shoe

Hmm, sounds interesting. Can't make it out still. Do you have an example of
such a flexible application?

> horn my needs into the existing UI code. I think if kmix can be

Perhaps it would have been easier if you had access to the UML class diagram.
OK, I haven't published it and it is not yet updated to the KDE4 version. ;)

> plasmaficated that bits of it (e.g. your favourite device or app) can be
> embedded where you need it and volume levels etc can be put inside
> applications really easily etc.

Do you have any good examples where other apps use embedded plasma bits
(except for the desktop?).

I haven't understand why everybody is so keen to limit themselves to the
limited set of plasma widgets.

> But that said I probably don't have the
> insight needed here to comment in more depth.

And I am not into Plasma, but you can't do a full app with it, can you?!?

  Christian