Rekonq default

Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen admin at leinir.dk
Sat Feb 20 14:46:48 GMT 2010

On Saturday 20 February 2010 15:43:57 Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> hi friends,
>
> I have a nice history of starting flame wars. So to keep my reputation I'm
> proposing my next controversial thing.
>

> I propose to move rekonq to kdebase and make it the default browser
> for KDE SC 4.5
> konqueror should stay in kdebase for users who like it and want to use it.
> Thats more or less the same strategy we followed when we made dolpin the
> default file manager.
>
> rekonq has 2 advantages over konqueror:
>

> 1. userinterface
> the GUI of rekonq is more optimized for webbrowsing. it is simpler and more
> to the point of using the web. But also has advanced features like the
> speed dial or previews for tabs. I think it has a better GUI for most
> users compared with konqueror
>

> 2. rendering engine
> rekonq is using webkit which renders modern websites better than khtml.
> webkit is moving forward really fast at the moment. It is in fact the
> leading rendering engine if you look at HTML5 compliance or speed. We
> should benefit from that.
>

> rekonq is nicely integrated in KDE. Examples are kwallet and konqueror
> bookmarks.
>
> I think KDE SC really needs a state of the art webbrowser. It is
> embarrassing that a lot of distributions ship firefox as default nowadays.
> The rekonq developers are really active and the development speed is
> totally impressive IMHO. I think there are still features missing but
> Rekonq is already better than konqueror IMHO.
>
> So rekonq is a better browser for 80% of our users and should be default
> therefore.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Cheers
> Frank

  This move has my feeble vote for yes. One important reason that is worth
considering for the Konqueror people in this: This allows Konqueror to return
to being the amazing Swiss army knife it originally was before trying to turn
into something which was mostly a web browser. So, to recap:
  1+

--
..Dan // Leinir..
http://leinir.dk/