RFC: On-demand package installation API in kdelibs

Martin Sandsmark sandsmark at samfundet.no
Sun Aug 22 06:16:10 BST 2010

Just a cent;

On Sunday 22. August 2010 00.21.28 Dario Freddi wrote:
> That said, in KDE history we always tried to circumvent those standards
> providing our own API for a variety of reasons. Some examples are
> HAL->Solid, PolicyKit->KAuth, GStreamer->Phonon and so on.

Phonon doesn't really map straight to GStreamer, and provides (in my
experience) a much more stable API than what GStreamer has been able to
provide (GStreamer has had several behavioural changes that has affected its
users in a rather bad way), and very subjectively also a simpler and neater
API, even if it maps to several different backends on several platforms.

I think the same also describes Solid (and its backends), and is something
that our (KDEs) APIs should strive for (and I think Shaman is on a good track
here).

--
Martin T. Sandsmark