RFC: On-demand package installation API in kdelibs

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 00:24:28 BST 2010

On July 29, 2010 06:23:26 James Spencer wrote:
> From a brain-dead user POV (myself), wouldn't a simple class to send a
> notification saying "What's Missing" and "Why You Might Want What's
> Missing" with any "Appropriate Warnings" via KDE's shiny new notification
> system suffice. That notification should come with 'Ignore' and 'Ignore
> Always' and 'Launch Default Package Manager'. KDE should then register a
> 'Default Package Manager' in 'System Settings' -> 'Default Applications'.
> (It's always surprised me that that setting isn't there.)
>
> Simple, simple to ignore, and easy for applications to opt in to, and not
> running over any distro's packaging system.
>
> _James

"Launch Default Package Manager" misses half the point - it leaves the user
with the tedious (and possibly confusing, for new users) job of finding the
package, assuming they even remember what the package name was and how to
spell it (and god forbid there should be >1 option, or similarly named
packages that aren't really what they want...)

"Launch Default Package Manager With The Right Package(s) selected for
install" might be better. or launching a wizard-style interface, like suse's
"one click install" (which is actually more like a dozen clicks tbh, I've
gotten lost in the process once or twice)