RFC: On-demand package installation API in kdelibs

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 23:21:28 BST 2010

On Tuesday 03 August 2010 19:36:41 dantti85-dev at yahoo.com.br wrote:
> That is a FDO standard which Dario can also implement on his
> package manager.

Preamble: Shaman does support PackageKit as its main backend.

That said, in KDE history we always tried to circumvent those standards
providing our own API for a variety of reasons. Some examples are HAL->Solid,
PolicyKit->KAuth, GStreamer->Phonon and so on.

Now, for each of those three cases the decision was right and paid back
greatly the additional effort. KDE was not affected by the switch HAL-
>DeviceKit->USomething, neither by PolicyKit->polkit-1, and with Phonon we're
able to provide a wide range of backends.

The whole point of not using PackageKit's API (beware: PackageKit's API only)
directly is to provide our developers a KDEish API, guaranteed to be BC, in a
similar fashion with what we've done with SC 4 until today. Everything I
mentioned before is a fd.o standard as well, but we built a wrapper around
nevertheless.

So the whole point is: we surely mean to use PackageKit and its Qt library as
a backend, like we've done with polkit & friends, but we'd better provide our
own API to avoid changing the workflow of our developers and have more control
over the whole situation.

my 2 cents.

--

Dario Freddi